WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CRUELTY-FREE AND VEGAN SKIN CARE?
The term “vegan” is thrown around a lot these days and has become the buzz word in skin care advertisements and is often confused with “cruelty-free”. However, this does not mean that vegan and cruelty-free are the same thing.
So, what is “vegan skin care” exactly? We are so glad you asked! At first thought “no meat is used in the ingredients” but in actuality “vegan skin care” means no animal products are used or found within the product’s ingredients and the term “cruelty-free” means that no animals were used in testing to develop the product or ingredients.
We are proud to say that all our products are both vegan and cruelty-free. To help you avoid any animal products in skincare we have complied a short list of the most common animal-derived ingredients. Potential trigger warning.
- Honey as a moisturizer + humectant
- Bees Wax as an emulsifier
- Bee Pollen as a skin conditioner
- Wool wax from sheep as a moisturizer + humectant or surfactant
- Lanosterol Esters as an emulsifier
ANIMAL PROTEINS + VITAMINS
- Keratin from ground hooves, claws + horns as skin conditioner
- Collagen (animal) used as active agent against wrinkles
- Biotin used as a skin conditioner
- Silk amino acids for moisture preservation
- Sericin (silk glue) as a smoothing agent in skin care
- Silk Powder (finely ground silk) as a smoothing agent
This list is condensed highlighting the most common, please note there are additional animal proteins, fatty acids and dyes that are derived from animals and insects and find their way into our skin care products. We must be diligent and keep a lookout for these animal-derived ingredients listed within the product’s ingredient deck.
Plant-based ingredients are a great alternative to common animal-derived ingredients and are often are more effective, easily absorbed and do not cause build-up or clog skin’s pores.
Our VIBERANCE crystal-infused skin care collection is 100% vegan, cruelty-free, ethically sourced + formulated without parabens or sulfates and do not contain artificial colors or synthetic fragrances. You can shop our beauty + wellness collection here.
REMEMBER THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE CRUELTY FREE!